On this week’s Data Center Frontier Show, we chat with Bill Kleyman, a long-time contributor to Data Center Frontier and one of the keynote speakers at the upcoming Data Center World 2023, where he will share insights from the AFCOM State of the Data Center 2023 industry survey. Bill and I dive deep into all the hot topics - including the rise of AI, rising rack density, the cloud capacity crunch and supply chain and nuclear-powered data centers.
This was a really fun and interesting discussion. Here's our conversation.
Listen to today’s show:
Here’s a timeline of topics Bill and Rich discuss on the podcast:
- 1:45 – State of the Data Center: Key trends in Bill's keynote summarizing the AFCOM survey.
- 9:45 – Trends in rack density and cooling: Will data centers look more like HPC?
- 17:00 – Nuclear-powered data centers: Why we're hearing more about this, and the prospects for small modular reactors.
- 22:15 – Bill and Rich talk supply chain, and the ripple effects on data center delivery.
- 26:00 – The NIMBY Problem: Why community relations matters for data center companies.
- 29:15 -- Is there a data center shortage on the horizon.
- 31:00 -- On the front lines of the AI Boom. Bill's work with Neu.ro. "This is an absolutely critical point for our industry."
- 37:00 -- AI "hallucinations" and reliability. How do we assess societal impact?
- 43:00 - How might AI address automation and staffing challenges in the data center industry?
- 49:15 - The shape of the hybrid cloud: Bill's take on the balance between cloud, colo and on-premises data centers.
Here's a link to recent DCF stories on the topics we discussed, as well as our previous podcast and coverage of Bill's DCW keynotes.
- Bill Meets Spot: This is a link to the video Bill mentions about interacting with a Boston Dynamics robot in an Oracle facility, via LinkedIn.
- Nuclear-Powered Data Centers: Modular Reactors on the Horizon: Several projects feature data center campuses being colocated with existing nuclear power plants. Meanwhile, on-site nuclear power generation should be possible by the end of the decade, and may be boosted by news today from TVA.
- The DCF Show: Bill Kleyman on the State of the Data Center in 2021: Rich and Bill dig into the hot trends (cloud repatriation, FinOps and, yes, ROBOTS!) as well as the big challenges facing the data center industry.
- AFCOM: No, the Cloud isn't Replacing the Data Center: Bill's keynote: "The data center is very much alive, and cloud computing is not going to kill it. But cloud technologies are changing the way enterprises are deploying IT capacity across on-premise data centers, colocation facilities and cloud platforms."
- Bill's Web Site
Did you like this episode? Be sure to subscribe to the Data Center Frontier show so you get future episodes on your app. We are on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you find quality podcasts. You can also subscribe using our RSS feed, and tell your friends and colleagues about our podcast!