For this episode of the DCF Show podcast, Data Center Frontier Editor in Chief Matt Vincent spoke with Sam Rabinowitz, CEO of Lantana LED, a supplier and provider of LED luminaires for the data center industry -- especially for hyperscalers, but also for energy-efficiency retrofits in mature facilities.
Key discussion points on the podcast include the following:
- 0:15 - Sam explains in-depth how Lantana broke into the data center industry by working with a hyperscaler customer to design and implement rapid deployment prototypes for their initial data center builds on the interior structure, including lighting.
- 3:14 - The discussion examines how Lantana's LED fixtures run cool and are energy-efficient, achieving up to 90% efficiency over nearly a decade of use. Sam describes how Lantana's LED lighting fixtures are UL certified for elevated ambient operating temperatures, providing operational flexibility for data centers in hot environments.
- 5:45 - Sam explains how Lantana's focus on energy-efficiency and materials efficiency can lead to cost savings for data centers while fostering a positive impact on the environment.
- 13:26 - Sam emphasizes the importance of employing a "micro to macro" approach in greening data, starting with individual components, and scaling up to entire campuses and programs.
- 15:46 - Data Center Frontier asks for takes regarding the impact of AI on the data center industry. In response, Sam discusses the need for new products and approaches to designing and engineering data centers to accommodate for chip-level heat.
- 19:32 - DCF asks about Lantana's plans for 2024. In response, Sam describes Lantana's new products as being tailored for digital infrastructure and expansion of the hyperscalers, as well as furnishing renovations for increased energy efficiency in data centers of all sizes.
- 26:46 - Sam emphasizes the importance of lighting in data centers for safety and functionality; the discussion compares it to cabling as a core, fundamental element of every data center.
Here are links to some related DCF articles:
- Equinix Gets Illuminated: Lighting Plan Seeks to Brighten Data Center Alley
- Sustainable Lighting: Key Considerations For Green Data Centers
- Signs of the Times: Data Center Buildings Embrace Branding and Corporate Visibility
- Are We Headed Toward Lights-Out Data Centers?
- Will Robots Usher in the Lights-Out Data Center?