Immersion cooling has a high "cool factor," but low adoption. John-David Enright wants to change that. As President and CEO of TMGcore, Enright is working to enable more companies to take advantage of the benefits of immersion cooling, in which servers are submerged in an enclosure filled with liquid coolant. This approach supports higher power densities, and also offers potential economic benefits by allowing data centers to operate servers without a raised floor, computer room air conditioning (CRAC) units or chillers.
On this week’s Data Center Frontier Show, we sit down with JD Enright for an in-depth discussion of the challenges and opportunities in immersion cooling. In our wide-ranging discussion, we explore how hyperscale operators and the crypto sector are approaching the use of immersion, the potential for its use in edge computing, and how TMGcore is serving the market, including its robotic system for swapping out submerged servers.
Listen to today’s show:
"It's a challenge to get folks to think differently," says Enright. "Either you evolve, or you become a dinosaur. We're at that inflection point now."
Here’s a timeline of topics JD and Rich discuss on the podcast:
- 1:00 – Background on TMGcore and what it does.
- 3:00 – Trends in data center cooling, rack density, and where immersion fits.
- 9:00 – The role of hyperscale providers in new technology adoption, and their interest in immersion cooling.
- 13:00 – Why the cryptocurrency sector has embraced immersion cooling and deployed it at scale.
- 17:45 – How immersion cooling can play a role in the growth of edge computing.
- 24:00 -- TMGcore's development of a robotics system to manage servers in an immersion enclosure.
- 28:30 -- What's ahead for TMGcore and its immersion technology.
Here are some links with more about the topics we discuss:
- TMGcore Unveils Robot-Managed Immersion Data Centers: TMGcore has launched a modular data center platform that uses robots to swap high-density servers immersed in coolant fluid. The OTTO platform is the most ambitious bid yet for a “lights out ” autonomous data center.
- Data Center Insights: John-David Enright of TMGcore: In our recent DCF Executive Roundtable, Enright shared insights gleaned from years of specialized leadership in developing next-generation HPC platforms, global blockchain strategies, biotechnology, viral cell and gene therapies, and market intelligence assimilation.
- The State of Data Center Cooling: This white paper from TMGcore explores how data center cooling is rapidly evolving as the adoption of liquid cooling allows the industry to redefine density and support next-generation computing capabilities.
Did you like this episode? Be sure to subscribe to the Data Center Frontier show so you get future episodes on your app. We are on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you find quality podcasts. You can also subscribe using our RSS feed, and tell your friends and colleagues about our podcast!
This episode of the Data Center Frontier Show is supported by TMGcore..