Everyone is talking about AI - artificial intelligence. But what might AI mean for the data center industry? On this week’s Data Center Frontier Show, we chat with DCF Senior Editor David Chernicoff, who has been digging into all things AI, including its potential impact on cloud platforms, chip makers, hardware startups, server vendors, and colocation providers. David and I take a deep dive into the implications of AI for the data center industry.
If you are at all interested in AI and data centers, this is the podcast for you. Here's our conversation.
Listen to today’s show:
Here’s a timeline of topics David and Rich discuss on the podcast:
- 1:15 – David shares a bit about his career and "Data Center Journey"
- 3:45 – "An Interesting Time for Hardware:" Trends driving development of chips and servers.
- 6:15 – The history of rack density, and the arrival of ChatGPT and generative AI.
- 11:30 – How AI might be disruptive, and how data and cost factor into its business impact.
- 17:15 – Echoes of the early days of cloud, and what that tells us about AI's trajectory.
- 21:30 -- Rich and David discuss the opportunities for colocations, OEMS and the edge.
- 24:45 -- The Road Ahead: Trends to watch as generative AI evolves, including societal issues
Here's a link to some of David's recent DCF stories on AI and its impact on various sectors within digital infrastructure.
- How Intel, AMD and Nvidia are Approaching the AI Arms Race
- The AI Arms Race: Startups Offer New Technology, Target Niche Markets
- For Leading Cloud Platforms, AI Presents A Major Opportunity
- Dell Technologies, HPE Pursue Multiple Paths into Enterprise AI
Did you like this episode? Be sure to subscribe to the Data Center Frontier show so you get future episodes on your app. We are on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you find quality podcasts. You can also subscribe using our RSS feed, and tell your friends and colleagues about our podcast!